Pages

Background

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

Happy Anniversary to my parents! 33 years today! I pray that Harrison and I will be as happy at 33 as they are today, love you Mom and Daddy, thanks for the wonderful example you are to us!



1 Samuel 16

The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart" (vs 7).



I have heard this verse a thousand times in my life and I have thought that I understood what it means. Because I have been judged for the way I dress, if I go a day without washing my hair and if I leave the house without makeup on, I think “they are looking at my outward appearance, and what they think is wrong.”


But finally, the Lord spoke to my heart about this verse in a completely different way. I guess I have been sort of self-righteous about my outward appearance because it doesn’t matter to me if I wear the latest clothes or perfect makeup. But God is speaking to me about my ATTITUDE and THOUGHTS.


I am a people pleaser. I say “Yes, Ma’am” and “No, Ma’am” and “Please” and “Thank you” to everyone. If I am unhappy I try to put a smile on my face for the world to see. If I don’t like the way someone acts I just smile and nod. My OUTWARD APPEARANCE is “Nice Girl”. But what is the appearance of my heart? Do I think badly of people? Do I just bite my tongue on what I really think, while on the inside I am being ugly?


If the Lord is looking at my heart He KNOWS. He is not interested in just the way I treat people on the inside, but how I think and feel about people on the inside.


I want to not just TREAT people in a respectful way, I want to truly respect them. I don’t just want to SPEAK to people with loving words, I want to truly love them the way Christ does. I don’t want to put on a face and be nice to people, I want to care about people and think sweet thoughts about them, looking at their positive attributes.


Lord, I pray that You will work to change the way my heart looks. It’s not my outward “nice girl” appearance that matters to you, but the way I truly think and feel towards others that You are concerned with.

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful post Hannah!! The words are so true!! Thanks for sharing what you are learning.

    AND, I just sent you an e-mail. I love that you are interested in online businesses and it would be my pleasure to talk to you to see if this is the one for you! =)

    ReplyDelete