Pages

Background

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Wow, I can’t believe I have gone this many days without blogging. Here’s a quick recap:


Monday night we did some serious work on our photography website, it is up and functional now! Check it out: www.harrisonabbottphotography.com


Tuesday night we attended a play called “Into the Woods” in Montevallo. The entire cast and crew are friends from college, including my brother Isaac. I would love to show you pictures of the show with a minimalistic (but very well used!) set and great costumes! But they told us before the show that we were not allowed to take photos or video of any kind. Boo! The show was really great, but we also got home really late.


Wednesday I tried hard not to take a nap at my desk at work, but made it through the day and home to take a short nap. We met some friends of ours for a late dinner...SUSHI! When I say “friends of ours” I mean a female friend of mine and a male friend of Harrison’s. We think they would be a good match:-) We won’t reveal their names, and we will all just have to wait and see. But we all had a good time and YUMMY sushi!



Alright, on to today. It’s Thankful Thursday! I have wanted to do a Thankful Thursday for a while, but I thought I would share a story this first time. (Some of you may have read this before on my facebook notes or an old blog, some of you may even remember this! Hope you enjoy it anyway)


The Thankful Wall


My senior year of college I started what I like to think of as a campaign of Thankfulness. It was a rough semester for me and a difficult time in my sorority as well and I really wanted people to focus on positive things. I read an article in Reader’s Digest about a study that showed that people who are Thankful live longer. So in an effort to prolong my life and the lives of my friends I decided to be thankful and encourage my friends to be thankful as well.


One afternoon when I had some time to kill I started to make a list of things I was thankful for. What started out as a few things that came to mind turned into fifty and then one hundred things. I discovered that if I could come up with one hundred things to be thankful for in less than five minutes, than I am a truly blessed person. So I posted this list outside my door and since I happened to live across the hall from the very slow elevator, I got a lot of readers while they waited. (I like to think it was sort of like primitive blogging...he he he).


It wasn’t long before one of my sorority sister’s poked her head in my door and asked for a piece of paper. ”Sure, what for?” I asked. ”I want to make a thankful list, too.” She said. And that’s how it began. From that day on people stopped by my door to read or add new lists and everyday when I came back from class the first thing I would do was check for a new “post” on my wall. Girls would come by with full, typed lists or just sticky notes of something they thought of in class. Most of them included the main things we are thankful for: family, friends, clothes, school, and many included the simple things in life that can make your day sometimes: ice cream, sticky notes, text maessages.


Even some of the guys from my brothers fraternity got into it and spent over an hour one night writing them own lists to add to the collection. This section outside my door became “The Thankful Wall” and whenever I needed some positive reassurance in my life this was the place to go, either to read someone else’s list or to write a new one myself or just revisit what I had written in the past.


I no longer live by the elevator, on the hall or in the dorms. I miss that wall of thanks and all the positive thoughts that went with it. So I wanted to have a place to see that thankfulness in black and white again. I hope that you will take the time to leave a note and mention what you are thankful for today.




Remember, it might help you live longer:-)


1 Thessalonians 5:18


1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for:
    The start of a new job
    The end of an old one
    The start of a new chapter of life
    Many Many Friends....
    I'll get back to you next week with more
    ...I was always jealous that I couldn't write on the wall of thankfulness cause I had already moved off the hall... glad you decided to do this!

    ReplyDelete